I came across this quote on a poster hanging in the art room I teach in at one of my elmentary schools. It was hung there by the 5th grade art teacher. I'm not sure how long it has been there, but for whatever reason, I noticed it on this particular day, and it was a secret message.
The reason I am so fond of creating zines about my life is because I too am trying to capture a not-so-still life.
What is it May Sarton says?
My zine is my chance to explore and discover my real life - what is happening and what has happened. It is my record of where the light and colour bounced. It is my own delightful trail of curiosity and noticing. It shows me that there are connections, that there is meaning, that the motion is not sheer chaos and happenstance. It shows me my forward movement and allows me to celebrate it.
An example of this is in the April Zine where I drew the 5 bowls of popcorn. These 5 bowls were resting all over my living room, on coffee tables and end tables, on the floor and in laps. They were evidence of our movement as a family - together.
- 5 bowls instead of 6 gave witness to my oldest daughter's absence. She was missed and the bowls helped me notice.
- 5 bowls showed that my people are getting bigger and require their own portions of food. There is less sharing.
- 5 bowls, each so different either in shape, size or colour.
- 5 bowls of popcorn in front of the TV showed our willingness to let the week end with leisure and laughter after it had been OH SO FULL of activity and work.
- 5 bowls of popcorn showed a choice to have a healthy snack.
- 5 bowls of popcorn reminded me of standing in front of the stove and moving the pan back and forth, back and forth so no kernels burned in the olive oil.
- 5 bowls of popcorn meant more work. More clean-up. More possibility of the bowl's being abandoned in the living room. But it also meant choosing to make an enjoyable experience, where everyone felt cared for. An act of hospitality and warmth.
- 5 bowls of popcorn as a reward once the baths were over and the comfy clothes donned. I look at this drawing and remember how good it felt to sit down that night.
- 5 bowls of popcorn as a symbol of our full life taking up lots of space.
Here, in my zine, a chance to show my not-so-still life and the way one evening, for whatever reason, the light hit the bowls just so and drew me into this secret message, pressed into my memory all the more by transposing the ink to the paper.
What not-so-still life is showing up in your art?